New Caledonia Immerson Trip - FAQS
Below is some useful information about New Caledonia and the Immersion Trip.
Please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email - we're here to help.
phone (09) 376 0009, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- I'm a complete beginner at French, is this trip for me? Yes! Learning through immersion in the language is the best way to learn French! At CREIPAC you will be placed in a Beginners class, and at your homestay you will interact as much as possible in French, but your family will be able to communicate with you in English when necessary.
- If I want to stay on longer/ arrive earlier in New Caledonia is that ok? Yes. Please let us know your arrival and departure dates (on the booking form that you will receive after enrolment) so that we can arrange the connection with your host family on November 18th.
- What airlines fly to New Caledonia? Aircalin and Air New Zealand.
- How much do tickets cost? From about NZ$600 return.
- How long is the flight? About 2.5 hours.
- Can you recommend a travel agent? New Caledonia Voyages is a travel agent specialising in trips to New Caledonia. Here are their details: ph 0800 890 118, www.newcaledoniavoyages.co.nz
- Do I need a visa to travel to New Caledonia? Many people travelling on a NZ passport can travel to New Caledonia for 3 months without a visa but please check requirements here.
- What currency is used in New Caledonia? The CFP Franc which is fixed to the Euro. You can also use a credit card in many places.
- How can I find out more about New Caledonia? There is lots of useful and interesting information on the New Caledonia Tourism website. Plus come along to our Information Morning on Saturday September 9th, 10am-12pm at Alliance Francaise Auckland, 9a Kirk Street, Grey Lynn.
- Are there any dangerous animals? No, there is the Tricot rayé but it is the nicest snake on earth!
- Can I drive in New Caledonia? Yes but you will need your New Zealand driving license or your international driving license. Careful! In New Caledonia you drive on the right side! Please note that you can rent automatic gearbox cars.
- Is there any time difference? Yes, 1 hour in winter (2 hours in summer).
- What weather can I expect? November is the best time to visit as it is the beginning of the hot season. The average in terms of degrees is 28º-30º, 22º at night. The water temperature is about 25º-26º.
- What about mosquitoes? Mosquitoes are not dangerous but you should bring your repellent not to be bothered.
- Are there any vaccinations I need for travel to NC? You can find out more information about vaccinations and general health and safety tips here
BOOKING THE TRIP & YOUR FLIGHTS
- When do I need to book the trip by? Once you book and pay your deposit we will be able to start arranging for you to have a great trip – we will organise your host family and place you in a French class, so please enrol as soon as possible.
- When do I need to pay for the trip? You need to pay a $500 deposit when you book the Trip and then the balance needs to be paid at least one month before the departure date, ie by October 18th.
- When should I buy my flights? The minimum number of participants needed for the Trip is five. As the Trip does not include flights you will need to purchase these separately. Once you have booked the Trip, to ensure that you do not purchase your flights before we are sure that we have the minimum number to go ahead, we will endeavour to let you know by Monday September 25th if we have reached 5 participants. If we reach the minimum numbers before September 25th, we will make sure to inform you at once. Your enrolment online, is therefore very important to us.
- What kind of plugs are there in New Caledonia? French/European style
- What hours are the shops open? Opening hours are from 8 or 9am to 5 or 6pm. Shops are closed on Sunday.
- Where are some places to go out at night? L’Anse Vata Bay / La baie des citrons (Lemon bay).
- What's a good supermarket to go to? The biggest supermarket is the Géant Saint Marie.
- Where will my French lessons by held? You will be taught at CREIPAC French Language School which is located in a historic building in Noumea, on the water's edge.
- What is the teaching method? You will learn in a French immersion class from qualified, experienced teachers. You will be grouped with others of a similar French level as you.
- How can I find out what level of French I have? Once you enrol for the trip you will be sent a link to our level test so that we can assess your level and place you in the correct class.
- What will I learn in my French classes? Your teacher will help you to expand your speaking, listening and reading abilities through everyday life situations that you may find yourself in while travelling in New Caledonia. They will also make sure to widen your vocabulary and grammar knowledge while helping you with your pronunciation. You can expect fun, interactive lessons! CREIPAC teachers will also make sure to help you understand the culture and history of New Caledonia and will teach with a New Caledonian twist!
- Will there be wifi internet access at CREIPAC? Yes
- When will I know who my host family are? You will let you know who your host family is in the week's leading up to the Trip and will give you their contact details so you can get in touch with them before you arrive if you wish.
- Can I make requests regarding my host family? You may note any preferences on the booking form – sent to when you enrol. We will doour best to accommodate your requests.